I was at work overhearing a conversation between two coworkers about another coworker. The first two, which I'll call A and B, were laughing at coworker C, who likes to appear tough but is actually rather immature. In an attempt to defend my friend C, I spoke up. "He hasn't always been like that. I knew him, like, 3 years ago and he wasn't like that.""Yeah," said coworker B. "He used to be a goody Christian."
Ouch. That one hurt.
Not even so much because I felt sorry for my friend...but because it was a testimony lost, a witness gone down the drain. There was a time when that specific friend had a great testimony, but even if he tried, no one would listen to him right now.
Of course, the moral of the story (which we don't like to think about) is that it could be anyone.
Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8
Let's face it - it's hard to be a light in the midst of darkness. Especially since the darkness fights back - and the darkness is stronger than we are! Thank God our light comes from Him, not of ourselves - we would never be strong enough on our own to keep our lights shining.
But what is the purpose of the light? Are we shining pointlessly? Does it make a difference whether our light shines or goes out?
You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:14-16"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine! This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine! This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine! Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine..." Funny how the songs we sing as children sometimes reflect the weightiest decisions we make in life. It's a choice to let your light shine...or not.
Sometimes it feels like you're the only one shining in the middle of the darkness - don't give up! You will be blessed for hanging in there. Other times it feels like everything is chaos and unstable, that it would be easier to simply give in and compromise your light. Again, you will be blessed for holding on, even if you can't yet see how.
How do I know? Because I've been there, done that - and let me tell you, our God is faithful.
He is the Giver of all light, the One who spoke light into existence - He is more than capable of keeping your light shining.


5 comments:
been there with coworkers. it's a sad thing to see, and it's harder to know what to say to lost people who point out hypocrisy. thanks for this post! i just found your blog recently and it's been a blessing to me already.
Amen. Amen!
I think it is harder to witness to people here in America because so much Christianity has been watered down. People think they know about the Gospel but some claiming to be Christians have but put it in a bad light so that they want nothing to do with it...
I'm going to do a post about this, but I'll give you a sneak peak to the link I'm going to give. Every Christin needs to listen to this!
http://www.wayofthemaster.com/learntoshare.shtml
Glad to have you back in Blogoshere!
such a BEAUTIFUL way with words.
Thank you, this is VERY encouraging <3
Great blog, I have enjoyed reading! Please follow my blog:
http://anozarkmountainwedding.blogspot.com/
Thanks y'all! Glad to be of encouragement! :)
Post a Comment