Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Battle's On

"After all, he's not a tame lion." -Mr. Tumnus, "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe"

It's been awhile since I posted here...my apologies. There has been a lot going on and a lot on my heart. And there are a lot of blog posts that I have in my head, and will eventually post - just haven't gotten around to it yet! I promise!

I have spent the last week and a half grounded to the couch, the chair, the bed...and am still walking gingerly and trying to spend as little time as possible on my feet. Tendonitis in both feet made them ache constantly, and made standing, much less walking, almost unbearable. I did not go to work, to various events, or even to church. Granted, I still had my personal devotions, and the fellowship of my family, but I was out of fellowship with other believers for a week, and in nearly constant pain. And somewhere in the middle I found myself struggling with complacency. Funny how Satan likes to kick us when we're down, hmm?

Something impressed upon me during this time was 2 Timothy 2. There is much to learn from this chapter, but certain verses seem to follow a theme. May I share it with you?

Verse 1:
You therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.


Be strong in Jesus' grace. What is strength? Our culture tries to define strength in so many ways. But thankfully our Lord does not leave us without a definition - one of His great attributes is that He never tries to confuse us or leave us wondering.

Verses 3-4:
You therefore must endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. No one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life, that he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier.

So what is strength? For one, it is being willing to "endure hardship;" for another, it is keeping yourself free from distractions.

The adversary loves to throw so many distractions at us. So many things call for our attention. How many times have I finally logged off the computer at night, ashamed that I spent hours in meaningless stuff when I only spend 10-20 minutes in prayer? How many times have I began an activity with my heart in the right place, only to find that, after a few minutes, my mind begins to wander and I end up with a completely different attitude?

Verse 15:
Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Be diligent...present yourself...a worker who does not need to be ashamed...rightly dividing... The words ring out like a battle cry, a call to arms. Distractions? They have no chance against the diligent soldier of Christ.

Now it probably seems incongruous to mix the Chronicles of Narnia with a local rodeo, but bear with me - real strength, in men and women of God, comes from Him. You cannot fight this battle on your own. A soldier would look pretty silly marching alone under his own banner while everyone else fights together. A cowboy would sound kind of stupid boasting about riding the coin-operated toy horses at the supermarket. On our own, we're destined to fall to the distractions and constant spiritual warfare...by the strength of our God, we stand, unashamed. And chapter 4, verse 7, proclaims the well-known victory cry:

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

The battle's on. Which side are you on, soldier?

2 comments:

Laurie said...

very nice,dear friend...DON'T give up!!!

~Miss Zara~ said...

love u blog bekah :)