Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Jesus Loves Me, This I Know

If you had to sum up your friends and acquaintances in one phrase or sentence each, what would it be? Use a little imagination and follow me on this one. Think of a few people you know and try to briefly sum them up.

A mental catalog of acquaintances might look something like this:
Person 1: She who laughs
Person 2: He who is struggling to find out who he is
Person 3: She who is afraid of other people's opinions
Person 4: He who leads by example
Person 5: She who encourages

How do you think the people around you might respond if asked sum YOU up?

More importantly, how does God sum you up?

There are a lot of things he could put on my record: She who has lied. She who has stolen. She who has committed murder in her heart by hate. She who has been self-righteous and judgmental. She who has not always obeyed. She who has failed...

But instead of all that, He calls me She whom I died for. He calls me She who is forgiven.

He calls me She whom I love.

And all those people in my mental list of friends and foes? They, too, are all He/She whom I love.

He has forgiven me so much. If He loves the people around me, how can I do less? Seeing every person I interact with as a person who is loved by the same God who forgives and loves me changes my attitude toward these people.

So much truth is found in the simple children's song:

Two little girls I love dearly
Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so, little ones to Him belong, they are weak and He is strong. Yes Jesus loves me, yes Jesus loves me, yes Jesus loves me, the Bible tells me so.

Jesus loves me, He who died, heaven's gate to open wide, He will wash away my sin, let His little child come in. Yes Jesus loves me, yes Jesus loves me, yes Jesus loves me, the Bible tells me so.

Jesus loves me, He will stay, close beside me all the way, Thou hast bled and died for me, I will henceforth live for Thee. Yes Jesus loves me, yes Jesus loves me, yes Jesus loves me, the Bible tells me so.

No comments: