Sunday, August 28, 2011

Desires of the Heart

Delight yourself also in the LORD, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

We've all heard this verse, many times, and usually rephrase it, "...and He will give you whatever your heart desires." But what if give doesn't mean give like you think it means give?

What if give means... "and He will give your heart the desires He wants you to have"? Rather than simply give us whatever we want, He would much rather change our hearts to want what He wants!

C. S. Lewis once said, "We are not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us; we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be." How true! Because sometimes the lessons He has for us to learn, though they may be unpleasant and even painful during the learning process, are all for our good.


An insight recently given to me by a friend was based on Psalm 37:3-4~
Trust in the LORD, and do good; dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness. Delight yourself also in the LORD, and He shall give you the desires of your heart.
If we break this down, it might look something like this: Trust in the Lord, let Him guide you without doubting Him; do good, continue to obey what you know He has commanded; dwell in the land, bloom where you're planted -- shine for Him and work for His glory, right where He has you; feed on His faithfulness, use the time to grow and learn of His faithfulness and love. Delight yourself in the Lord, let Him be the most important thing in your life; He'll give you the desires of your heart, but they may not be the same as what you currently desire -- He may change your heart to desire the same as what He desires, and want what He wants.

Wow. That hit me right where I needed it...because lately I've been struggling a little with contentment. In the last few weeks especially God has used songs, worship time, and Godly advice to get me to see that He has placed me where I am, right now, for a reason and that He is using me right here and now. That I don't have to go somewhere else to be used, but He can use me anywhere. That if He wants to use me elsewhere, He will move me elsewhere...until then, I'm here.

At the same time He asked me to be not only content but even happy with the current circumstances He's given me...because contentment is not really contentment if I don't appreciate what I'm being content with! I can say all day long that I am content with being in California...but if I am not OK with the idea of staying here for as long as God has for me to be here, however long that may be, I'm not really content.

Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content. Philippians 4:11


"But God," I say in my heart, "I want to serve You! I want to do great things for You! Why can't I go on a missions trip somewhere and serve You in some visible way?"

And then I walk through a store and end up in an hour long conversation with a random woman, spending half that time witnessing to her. "Wow, God," I say, "You used me in an unexpected way, in an unexpected place." And then I hold the door open for a mom struggling with one hand holding a toddler and the other hand holding a baby carrier, and she thanks me and walks away. "Wow, God," I say, "You used me in a way nobody else knows about, but special to You."

And I feel God tug at my heart (I'd rather that than a slap on the head!), saying, "Are you paying attention? Do you see what I'm doing? I'm using you!"

"Yes, Lord," I say and bow my heart in worship. "I understand. Use me however You will. I want to desire what You desire. And when You want to use me, wherever and whenever that may be, let me be sensitive to Your voice and ready to do Your will. And if You choose to use me elsewhere, that will be Your choice; I am content wherever You place me, for however long You choose. Your will be done."


It is then that I understand the truth of 1 Timothy 6:6 ~ "Now godliness with contentment is great gain."